2010 looms. Playtime is over.
Regretfully I must now commence a four year stint in the research army. Called up, given a rifle, sent off to battle the foe. The letter came a few weeks ago and it grimly sets out the conditions under which research will take place:
- You must spend 35 hours a week researching. Inspectors may call at any time and ask, ‘are you researching?’. Must be able to answer ‘Oh God yes YES!’
- That doesn’t mean you can slack off from your full time job mind you. 70 hours a week ought to do it. That’s less than working at Apple.
- Or achieve insufficient Artistic Metrics. Three paintings a week.
- You will cease and desist from saying rude things about BRUTALIST U’s new fun house. BRUTALIST is your true mother and loves you.
- No biscuits.
- You will respect and adore the Holy Writ of Saints Lyotard, Deleuze, Derrida and anyone else Social Science may elect as prophet.
- Sharpen your pencils. Get a hair cut. Stand up straight.
Really it comes down to this – there are not going to be enough hours in the week to write the usual trash here. I will need to write on the Sensible Work Blog now, because I don’t want to mix up what I write for study with the claptrap that exists here. Either I delete the claptrap, which seems unfair, or write elsewhere.
So it’s all a bit sad.
I don’t know if I will be able to maintain the load and may at some point have to go part time in some way. We’ll see. If so, I might be able to channel my inner astronaut a few more times. Otherwise this blog will have to be a rare thing, with bottled bile. It will not go away.
Goodnight, and Good Luck.